Below, you'll find all of the solutions that worked for me, and for other girls. I've been searching around the internet for a decade, and these seem to be the most common fixes for a case of the onions. But before trying any of these things, if you haven't already, GO TO THE DOCTOR! You might have something that can be taken care of with a single course of antibiotics, so don't waste your time with this stuff if you haven't already been tested.
Here are some tips and products that may help!
The following worked for me:
If you're interested in exactly how to use these products and why, check out this page.
• Chlorophyll 50 - 600MG - 1 pill at night, and 1 in the morning.
• Folic Acid 400MG - 1 pill a day
• Rephresh Pro-B Capsules - 1 pill a day
• Lactobacillius Acidophilus - 1 pill a day
• Oil of Oregano pills - 1 pill a day
• Certain Dri - once every three days
The following have worked for other girls:
• Magnesium - a bunch of girls suggest this in my comments sections.
• Colonetix - One of my readers suggests that she believed her constipation affected her odor. She said this product for constipation helped her
• Lavilin Deodorant - This is a deodorant similar to Certain Dri, but more natural - apply it to your vadge 2-3 times a week - to the outside, not internally!
• Povidone Iodine Soap - wash with it twice a day.
• Vanicream Soap - This soap is completely free of dyes and fragrances that can cause irritation and upset your vagina's delicate bacteria balance. It was created specifically for people with very sensitive skin who suffer from chemical irritants.
• Hibiclens - This is interesting. A girl in the comments section mentioned it. It's an antiseptic antimicrobial skin cleanser possessing bactericidal properties. Possibly capable of killing skin bacteria more effectively than regular soap.
• Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap - a girl in my comments section suggests using it twice a day
• Femanol - treats vaginal odors - I don't know this one personally, and I haven't seen it in stores, but it can be bought online
• Isoplus Shampoo - use it on your vadge. Apparently, it's a neutralizing ph balancing shampoo
• Essence For Women - I haven't used it personally, but it came highly rated by some girls on blogs
• Balance Activ Suppositories - if your odor is caused by Bacterial Vaginosis
• Tend Skin - It's for razor burn. Some women splash it on their vadge and they say it stops the smell. I've seen this a few times on a few forums
• Coal Tar Soap - this was suggested by one of my readers.
• Try Boric Acid and alum crystal deodorant...
Inserting 1 gel capsule (size 00) filled up with boric acid at night for 2 weeks
Some solutions I've received from other ladies!
• Try Boric Acid and alum crystal deodorant...
Inserting 1 gel capsule (size 00) filled up with boric acid at night for 2 weeks
After taking a shower rubbing my vulva and inner thighs with a wet alum crystal deodorant (you have to buy the crystal stones, not the ones that have a shape like deodorant, those contain more chemicals) until the crystal gets dry.
So the boric acid stop my bacterial vaginosis and the alum crystal deodorant control my body odor. I use a capsule of boric acid after sex (every time, otherwise, I get BV again) and like one once a week for prevention
I still get the onion smell when I'm about to have my period or in random days, I just use a capsule of boric acid immediately and it works
Those two steps changed my life (and sex life!) completely =)
• Try fiber and spearmint tea…
Your cause may be constipation. Make sure you are getting enough fiber & water regularly to keep things running smoothly on a regular basis and this will make a difference too.
Try water, vinegar, baking soda and lemon/lime juice.
What helped me feel fresh all day was shaving and then washing my vag and butt with a mixture of water with vinegar, baking soda or lemon/lime juice. What you do is grab a plastic measuring cup, plastic cup or whatever you have on hand and fill it up with warm water and then add a splash of white vinegar or a big pinch of baking soda or the juice from a half of a slice of lemon/lime. Mix it and then wash your areas well. Rinse with warm water. Pat dry and done. I have also tried rubbing my areas with a half of a slice of lemon/lime and then rinse with warm water. I try to limit washing with vinegar about 1-2 times a week because it's too acidic for my hooha but I do cleanse daily with the baking soda and water mixture.
• Try cutting out dairy…
recently I started a new diet and a part of it is to cut out dairy to reduce belly bloat. So I did the next day I noticed I smelled but not as bad then the following day nothing I was like a normal woman. It went that way for a week till I cheated ( it's hard not to eat cheese).The very next day the smell was back.So that was all the study I needed its been two weeks no smell even close to my period and when I'm aroused. I'm willing to give up cheese to smell good.(its reeeaaaallly hard though)
• Try apple cider vinegar and yogurt or kefir…
For me it was a bacterial imbalance (which I think is what it is for most people), specifically Staph Hominis (known for their oniony smell) which override the non-odorous strains of Staph we have naturally on our skin. I recommend visiting Dr. Armpit's website.
The only thing that I have found to help is the topical application of Apple Cider Vinegar followed by yogurt or kefir. The ACV is slightly acidic to kill the bacteria and the yogurt replenishes with healthy probiotics. Remember, you want to rebalance.
But it may not work upon first application, so do this for 1-2 weeks to move the bacterial communities in the desirable way.
• Try Magnesium and Naked Naturals deodorant…
You may want to try magnesium supplements & That Naked Naturals deodorant (arrowroot,baking soda,coconut oil,carnauba was). It's kinda expensive at whole foods,but works well for armpits. You may have to re-apply during the day. Rub it in well & only a little. if you use to much & then sweat you'll get a little white lines possibly & just wipe away with tissue.
• A full protocol for nips and vadge…
For topical treatment of nipples, arm pits and vagina (must include inner thighs, inner lips and perrenia area includingredients outside of anus)
1.Mixture of Baking soda and Pure Lemon Juicemail
Use this everyday initially on affected areas. Rub thin film and let it sit for about 3 to 5 minutes before proceeding with normal bath. This can be done twice daily
After Baking Soda and Lemon wash has been rinsed take cotton ball soaked in ACV and clean all areas listed above. Let it dry. Next rub Plain unsweetened Greek yogurt as cream all over areas, allow to dry overnight. Repeat this step 7 to 14 days consecutively. This process kills the bad bacteria on the surface of the skin and helps to repopulate the area with good bacteria long term.
3. In addition to taking the chlorophyll pills twice daily I have added 8 Oz of Kombucha tea each day as my probiotics in the am or afternoon and about 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda mixed in a glass of water in the evening. This really did the trick for me by balancing my PHD levels (alkalizing) my body.
4. The final step that has changed my life was using a baking soda and tea tree oil mixture as a douche. This also helped to tame my PHD and reduced the musty/battery acid taste, smell and sensation.
• Could be Candida…
I’ve finally found one that works for me! It was information on your site that lead me to the solution, your comments about Candida and leaky gut. My solution is 2 products, a very specific probiotoc called ProBio5, which has an antifungal to kill the Candida as well as 5 different flora to help balance the chemistry, the other is a cleansing product called BioCleanse, which helps flush your body of the dead toxins! If you don’t flush them they will get reabsorbed! Both products are from a health and wellness company called Plexus.
• Oil of Oregano…
Oil of Oregano pills are a miracle worker!! This happened to me for the first time ever this year and it was driving me crazy. Funny thing is my armpits smelled just as oniony as my groin area. I'm like...ok, I'm 37 years old...I should not be smelling like a little musty boy! I went so far as to get a wax down there, thinking the hair was holding some type of odor. Well, that wasnt the problem and I saw my life flash before my eyes during that wax experience. Anyway, the oil of oregano knocked it out In 2 days. There is NO ODOR whatsoever.
• Topical probiotics…
One method i've used is to cleanse really thoroughly and then cover the areas with natural yoghurt (no flavours or added sugars!!!) or probiotic powder (from inside probiotic capsules) before going to bed. This could be done every day in a row for almost a week and whenever it gets bad again. Essentially, you're covering the skin with positive, non smelly bacteria which means they help fight the bad ones off and stop them from growing back as strongly.
maybe try in conjunction with the vitamins and supplements if you're still having difficulties?
• Magnesium Citrate…
For my onion nipple girls...magnesium citrate has worked for me! SO happy. I tried the Chlorophyll, some expensive probiotics, Certain Dri, the medical grade soap...and 100mg of magnesium is what finally worked!
• A few soaps to try…
Both Hibiclens, Lemisol and Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap work wonders. Hibiclens works so well that you could two days without showering.
Some more Tips!
• Take a bath with a half a cup of Apple Cider Vinegar and a half a cup of epsom salt. Do this 3 times a week. Soak for a half hour.
• More Apple Cider Vinegar! Drink it - a table spoon diluted in water with honey, every morning.
• Even MORE Apple Cider Vinegar! Mix a few drops with a tea spoon of un-flavored, organic yogurt, and use topically on your vagina daily.
• Take a probiotic/acidophilus supplement 3 times a day
• Vipassana (Mindfulness) Meditation - Less stress, less odor.
• Go vegan for 2 weeks and see what happens - A number of websites mentioned this. Go for low fat/ high fiber and starch based foods. If it works, you'll have to keep it up.
• Try the Paleolithic "caveman diet" and see what happens. It's a diet that rids the body of candida, which when overgrown, can cause body odor (and many other health problems).
• Cut out coffee, smoking and tea for at least 2 weeks - caffeine can excite apocrine glands and cause odor, so see what happens when you cut them out for a while.
• Eat WAY more leafy greens and drink wheatgrass shots - Full of odor fighting vitamins like Chlorophyll and other deodorizing, detoxifying vitamins
• Yoga - Sweat it out. Vinyassa yoga will make you sweat, sweat, SWEAT.
• Tea tree oil - it's anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Put about 10 drops in a nightly bath, or mix a drop or two on fingers wet with water, and rub in around the opening of your vagina.
• Wear 100% Cotton panties - (works for some girls, not others)
• Experiment with removing certain foods from your diet, onions being the obvious, but try removing curry, garlic, sugar and other pungent foods like salsa and hot sauce. Also try cutting out meat and fish for a while. There have been studies that show meat can cause bad body odor.
• Get a Brazillian wax - the fatty secretion that comes out of your glands collects around hair follicles, so… pull those suckers out!
• Yogurt - Half a cup or more of organic, unsweetened yogurt a day. If it's too bitter, use a small amount of honey. The friendly bacteria in yogurt makes for friendly vaginal flora.
• DO NOT DOUCHE! It only makes things worse if your smell is produced from an infection. Anyone who recommends douching hasn't done their research. And I'm not just talking about Summer's Eve… I'm talking about everything from vinegar and water to coconut water. Nothing should be shot up there. The vagina is a self-cleaning organ, if you shoot stuff up there, it just shoots things that should be on their way out, up in places where they don't belong. Don't douche, Don't douche. Don't douche. Don't douche!
• Try going off your Pill for a while (Obviously using condoms in the mean time, if you don't already). There has been some research that suggests that birth control pills may cause body odor.
• Wear gloves when you handle garlic or onion - some women swear that just touching onion causes their vaginas to smell.
• Condoms - Some women are very negatively effected by semen, in a bacterial sense. I don't know all the ins and out of it (see what I did there?) but I do know it has something to do with acids and bases. Semen makes your vadge more alkaline, while by nature, it's more acidic. Acid kills spermies, so the goo around the sperm makes you more basic so they can swim all the way to their desired destination without fear. You probably notice a bit of a fishy smell the day after unprotected sex. Perhaps even a burning sensation. That's cause you have a very small case of gardnerella bacteria growing in your cooch (that's what happens when those acids and bases mix). For most women, this clears up really fast, but for other women, unprotected sex can throw off the balance of natural, friendly flora in your vagina and cause bacterial infections, so try wrapping it up.
Good luck ladies!!